Welcome new Xfinity customer! I’m here to help walk you through getting your new Xfinity Internet service set up and ready to use. I know dealing with new technology can be frustrating, so I’ve put together this simple, easy-to-follow guide to activate your equipment and get online quickly.
There are just a few steps we need to complete:
- Get your modem powered on and ready for activation
- Connect your computer or device to the modem
- Activate your modem at xfinity.com/activate
And that’s it! I’ll provide some extra troubleshooting tips along the way in case you run into any hiccups.
Ready to get started? Let’s go!
Get Your Modem Ready
First, we need to get your modem powered on and prepared for activation.
- If you have an Xfinity Gateway (modem/router combo unit), look for either:
- Multiple lights on the front
- The Online, Power, US/DS lights should be solid for 1 minute
- The 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi lights should be blinking
- A single light on top
- The light should be solid white for 1 minute
- Multiple lights on the front
- For a third-party modem, check the manufacturer’s instructions
Once those lights look right, your modem is ready for activation!
Tip: If the lights don’t change after 10 minutes, try unplugging and reconnecting the power cable to reboot your modem.
Connect Your Device to the Modem
Now we need to get your computer, phone, tablet, or other device connected to the modem’s temporary setup connection.
You can connect wirelessly via WiFi or directly through an Ethernet cable.
Connect via Ethernet Cable
- Plug one end of the Ethernet cable into your computer
- Plug the other end into any open Ethernet port on your modem
- Ensure the Ethernet connection lights up on both ends
Connect via WiFi
- Locate the network name (SSID) and password printed on your modem
- Open WiFi settings on your device
- Select the modem’s network
- Enter the password when prompted
You may see a network called something like “Home-XXXX” or “XFSETUP-XXXX.”
Once connected via either method, you’re ready for the final step – activation!
Activate Your Modem At xfinity.com/activate
Launch any web browser and visit:
You’ll have two options to verify your Xfinity account:
- Mobile phone number
- Xfinity ID & password
If you want to login directly, choose “Xfinity ID & password” and sign in to your account.
Otherwise, select “Mobile phone number“, enter it in, and they will text you a one-time passcode to confirm your identity.
Heads Up! If you get an error activating via web, you can also activate through the Xfinity mobile app. Check below for details.
After you verify your account, the activation should process automatically in the background. You’ll see confirmation when finished!
And that’s it! Your Xfinity Internet is now active.
Connect your wifi-enabled devices to start enjoying your new fast Internet!
Here are some quick troubleshooting tips if you run into any issues getting online:
- Can’t connect devices to wifi?
- Reboot your modem and router by unplugging them from power for 60 seconds
- Page doesn’t load properly?
- Clear your web browser cache and cookies
- Getting error messages?
- Close browser, reopen and try xfinity.com/activate again
Activate Via the Xfinity Mobile App
Don’t want to activate via the website? You can also use the Xfinity mobile app for Android or iPhone.
- Launch the Xfinity app and login
- Select “Allow” if prompted to access your camera
- Locate the QR code on your modem/gateway
- Scan the QR code with your phone’s camera
- You’ll see a checkmark when scanned
- Follow the prompts to name your wifi network, set a password, etc.
And that’s it, your modem will begin activation shortly!
I hope this guide covered everything you need to get online with Xfinity quickly and easily. Let me know if any other questions come up!