We’ve all been there – cuddled up on the couch, ready for a Netflix binge, only to grab the Roku remote and be greeted by that blinking green LED. Ugh! Before you get too annoyed, take a breath. There are a few simple troubleshooting tips that should get you back to streaming in no time.
Why Is My Roku Remote Blinking?
When your Roku remote starts incessantly blinking green, it typically means there is an issue with it connecting or “pairing” with the Roku player. This could happen because:
- The batteries need to be replaced
- There is wireless interference from another device
- The remote software needs to be updated
- The remote and player have somehow become out of sync
The good news is this is usually an quick fix. Below I’ll walk you through some basic steps to try.
Force the Roku Remote to Re-Pair
The easiest troubleshooting method is to force your remote to rediscover and re-pair with your Roku player. Here’s how:
- Remove the remote batteries for at least 30 seconds. This clears any stored wireless connection info.
- Unplug the power cable from your Roku player for 10 seconds. This resets its wireless connectivity and makes it receptive to a new pairing request.
- Reconnect your Roku player’s power cable and reinsert fresh batteries into the remote.
- On the remote, press and hold the pairing button (located inside the battery compartment) until the blinking LED turns solid green.
Once connected, the TV screen will display a pairing notification, and your remote should function normally again!
Other Troubleshooting Tips
If pairing still fails after following the steps above, there are a couple other easy options to try:
- Leave the batteries out of the remote overnight. Allowing an extended disconnection from the player sometimes resets things.
- As a last resort, consider purchasing a replacement Roku remote. They are affordably priced between $15-$30.
Additionally, while troubleshooting, use the free Roku app for iOS or Android devices as a substitute remote to avoid frustration.
When To Contact Roku Support
If you’ve tried all troubleshooting steps multiple times without success, it may be time to enlist Roku’s customer support team. Reach out to them via:
- Online Support Form: Visit Roku Customer Support Page and submit a detailed issue report.
- Community Forum: Post your question on Roku’s Community Support Page to leverage advice from Roku staff and other users.
I hope these troubleshooting tips help resolve the blinking light madness! Let me know in the comments if you have any other tricks for re-pairing Roku remotes. And happy streaming!