So you just received a shiny new Mercury Mastercard in the mail? Congrats! This handy credit card can help build your credit score if used responsibly. But before you can start swiping, you need to activate your card first.
Activating your card is a snap and this short guide will walk you through exactly how to do it. Let’s get started!
Why Do You Need to Activate a New Credit Card?
Activating cards is standard procedure for any new plastic entering your wallet. It helps verify your identity and lets the card issuer know that you received the card and intend to use it.
You typically have 30 days from receiving your card to complete the activation process before the card is automatically canceled. So don’t delay!
3 Easy Ways to Activate Your Mercury Card
You can activate your Mercury Mastercard in just a few minutes using any of these quick methods:
- Online: The fastest way, takes just 5 minutes.
- Phone: Call the number on the back of your card.
- Mobile app: Download the Mercury Oculus app and activate in the app.
Let’s go through each option in more detail.
Activate Online at mercurycards.com/activate
Activating online at mercurycards.com/activate is the simplest way to get your card up and running.
Here’s exactly what to do:
- Visit the Mercury card activation website.
- Enter your 16-digit card number, last 4 digits of SSN, and birth month & year.
- Click the blue “Proceed” button.
- Create a PIN number for your card.
- Click “Activate Card” to finish.
And that’s it, your shiny new card is now ready to use!
Tip: Logging into your online account allows you to easily manage your card, review transactions, pay bills, check your score and more.
Activate by Phone
You can also activate your card by calling the number listed on the back.
To activate by phone:
- Call the activation number on the back of your Mercury card
- Enter your 16-digit card number and 3-digit security code when prompted
- Choose a PIN number
And your card will be activated during the call.
Download the Mercury App
The Mercury Oculus app makes managing your account super simple directly from your phone.
And it also allows you to quickly activate new cards with just a few taps.
- Download the Mercury Oculus app on your iOS or Android device
- Open the app and tap “Activate My Card”
- Enter your card details and new PIN to activate
The Mercury app also lets you:
- Pay bills
- Check your score
- View balance & transactions
- Set spending alerts
- Initiate balance transfers
- And more!
So it’s worth downloading to help stay on top of your credit.
Start Building Credit with Your Mercury Card
Now that you’ve activated your card, you can begin using it for purchases and payments!
Be sure to pay your bill on time and in full each month. Responsible use is key to building your credit history over time.
A few quick tips:
- Avoid maxing out your card – stay under 30% of your limit
- Review transactions frequently
- Create payment reminders in your calendar or Mercury app
- Check your score regularly to monitor changes
Good luck and happy swiping! Being strategic with your new Mercury card can help improve your credit score so you have access to better rates down the road.
Activating your card is the first step to putting your Mercury Mastercard to work.
If you have any other questions about activation, managing your account, credit score tips or more, call the helpful folks at Mercury’s customer service department. They are available 24/7 to assist you.