So you just got a shiny new Barclays card in the mail? Congrats! Before you can start swiping though, you need to activate your card first. Don’t worry, I’ll walk you through it step-by-step.
A Quick Intro to Barclays
For those who don’t know, Barclays is a large British bank that offers credit cards and other financial services in the US. They have all sorts of products for regular consumers as well as corporate and wealthy clients.
Now let’s get your new credit or debit card up and running!
Activate Barclays Card at barclaysus.com/activate
Activating online at barclaysus.com/activate is the quickest way to get your card ready to use.
If you’re a new Barclays cardmember:
- Enter your 16-digit card number
- Enter the 3-digit security code on the back
- Enter the last 4 digits of your Social Security number
- Select your occupation from the dropdown menu
Tip: You can find all of these details printed on your new card!
If you already have a Barclays card, simply:
- Click Log in
- Enter your username and password
Either way, click Activate once you’ve filled everything out properly and you should be all set!
Activating Through the Mobile App
- Download the app and open it
- Tap “Activate your account”
- Choose New or Existing Cardmember
- Enter your card number, Social Security info, birthdate, etc.
- Follow the instructions to complete activation
Once finished, your mobile wallet can start replacing your physical card for tap payments! How cool is that?
Setting Up Online Access
I highly recommend also setting up online account access even if you activated already. Here’s how:
- Go to the online access registration page
- Enter the last 4 digits of your Social Security Number along with Date of Birth and full Account Number
- Choose your Occupation and confirm whether you’re a US citizen
- Create a unique Username and Password
- Configure Security Questions in case you ever forget your password
- Enter and confirm your Email Address
Now you can manage your Barclays account fully online or through the mobile app!
Here are some quick answers to a few frequently asked post-activation questions:
I lost my new card! What do I do?
Call 888-232-0780 right away and Barclays will send you a replacement. Provide details on where/when it was lost and any charges you don’t recognize.
Will I get charged extra for using my card internationally?
Yes, there is typically a foreign transaction fee applied. Check your Cardmember Agreement for specifics.
How can I ask for a higher credit limit?
Log in online, go to Services > Request Credit Line Increase and submit your request for review.
I hope this guide covered everything you need to get your card up and running ASAP. Let me know if you have any other questions!