So you just received your shiny new Employment Development Department (EDD) debit card in the mail from Bank of America. Congrats! This card makes getting your benefit payments easier and more secure. But before you can use it, some quick activation is required first.
Activating your EDD card is simple. You have two options:
- Activate online
- Activate by phone
I’ll cover both processes step-by-step in this short guide so you can quickly get access to your card and funds.
Online Activation: Fast and Easy
Activating online is fast and usually pretty foolproof. As long as you have your new card in hand and a computer/phone to access the EDD card website, you can get it up and running yourself in just a few minutes.
Here’s what to do:
- Go to the Bank of America EDD Card website
- Find and click the “Activate My Card” button
- Enter your 16-digit Card Number listed on the front
- Click Continue and follow the remaining prompts
And that’s it! Your card will now be activated and ready for use once funds are loaded to it.
Tips for Online Activation
- Double check you enter the correct Card Number – this is the key for linking your physical card to your account
- Make sure your personal info (name, address, etc.) matches what the EDD has on file for you
- The site works great on mobile, so no need to break out your laptop
Online is generally smooth and easy, but if you run into any snags…
Activating by Phone
No worries, you can also activate just by giving Bank of America a quick call.
When Calling from Inside the U.S:
- Dial 1-866-692-9374
- Or call 1-866-656-5913 (TTY)
When Calling from Outside the U.S.:
- Dial the international number: 1-423-262-1650
A friendly rep will help verify your identity and then walk you through the activation just like the online steps above.
Whether you activate online or by phone, you’ll now be ready to use your EDD debit card as soon as those benefit funds get loaded! This includes things like:
- Withdrawing cash from ATMs
- Making purchases online or in stores
- Transferring funds to your bank account
- Checking balances
- Setting up text/email alerts
A Few More Key Card Tips
Beyond getting that initial activation setup, here are some bonus tips for making the most of your sweet new EDD card:
- Your card is good for 3 years – no need to re-activate when signing up for various EDD programs in that time
- You must have participated in at least 1 previous EDD program with this card to reuse it
- Once active, your card remains active until the expiration date, regardless of EDD program participation
- You’ll have instant access to funds when more are loaded to your existing activated card
- Contact Bank of America with any other card-related questions at 1-866-692-9374
The EDD card makes managing your benefit funds a total breeze. I hope this quick guide helps you get your card up and running ASAP! Let me know if you have any other questions.