Congratulations on your new HP printer purchase! Getting your device hooked up and printing can be confusing, but this simple guide will walk you through the process in a few easy steps. Whether you have a shiny DeskJet, practical OfficeJet, or versatile ENVY model, we’ve got you covered.
Unpacking and Hardware Setup
Carefully unpack your new printer and remove all tape and protective materials. HP printers come with special ink cartridges designed for initial setup – be sure not to confuse these with regular cartridges.
When installing ink cartridges:
- Open the cartridge access door
- Remove cartridges from packaging and pull tabs to discard protective tape
- Do Not touch the copper contacts or ink nozzles to avoid leaks/damage
- Insert the black cartridge in the right slot
- Insert the color cartridge in the left slot
- Gently push the cartridges into place until they snap in
Once cartridges are loaded, raise the input tray, adjust the paper guides, and load your paper. Refer to your device’s guide for specifics if needed. Print an alignment page to complete hardware setup.
Connecting Your Printer Wirelessly
Before connecting, gather this information:
- Wireless network name (also called SSID)
- Wireless password
Power on your wireless router and printer, and make sure your computer is already connected to the wireless network you want your printer to join.
Disconnect any USB cables from your printer, then go to your printer’s control panel, locate the Wireless Setup Wizard option, and follow the on-screen prompts to connect to the network.
Having trouble finding wireless options? Press the wireless icon on your printer’s control panel, select Settings, then select Wireless Setup Wizard.
Installing Software and Print Drivers
With your printer now wirelessly connected, finish setup by installing the printer software and drivers:
- Visit 123.hp.com
- Enter your printer model number
- Click Begin, then select Download
- Run the downloaded Setup file
- Accept license agreements
- Follow the on-screen directions to install
- Click Finish when complete
Print Your First Page!
Open any document you want to print, select File > Print in your program, choose your newly installed printer, adjust any settings, and print away!
Running into issues? Troubleshoot common problems with our friendly printing troubleshooting guide.
We hope this quick start guide helped you get up and running fast. Let us know if you have any other questions – our support team is always happy to help HP printer owners. Enjoy your new wireless printing capabilities!